Not surprisingly, people tend to put off funeral planning for as long as they possibly can. But the fact of the matter is that the sooner you do start planning, the more you could save in the long run. That’s because funeral costs are rising fast, by 2024 they are projected to be £5,925**.
Why you should pay your funeral costs in advance?
The thought of our own funeral can sit a little uneasy with some people, but those who take a moment to consider the financial implications on loved ones in later years are reaping the financial rewards. Why? Because funeral costs are rising.
Funeral costs are on the increase
The average cost of a funeral has increased from £2,971 in 2011 to £4,086 in 2017**. If funeral costs continue to rise at the current rate of 5.45% by 2024 they'll reach more than £5,925†.
How to stop your funeral costs from rising
More and more people are choosing to take care of funeral costs years ahead, to stop their loved ones being hit by a large and unexpected funeral bill.
When you buy a Prepaid Funeral Plan from The Nottingham, provided by our partner Dignity, you're effectively freezing the cost of the services included in your chosen plan at today's prices. So, no matter how far into the future your funeral takes place, or however much funeral costs may rise, once paid there will be nothing further to pay for these services.
Why choose a Prepaid Funeral Plan from Dignity?
The Nottingham has partnered with Dignity, one of the UK's leading providers of funeral plans, because of their professional and trusted reputation in providing funeral services.
In 1985, Dignity launched the first funeral plan in the UK. Since then, more than 824,000 people have already made provision for their funerals with the help of Dignity††. This experience really has given them a unique understanding of customers’ needs and has enabled them to create one of the most financially secure funeral plans available in the UK today.
- Dignity has a network of over 1,200 owned or approved funeral directors throughout the UK, many of whom have been serving their local communities for generations
- With Dignity your money is in safe hands. The money you pay for your plan is paid into the National Funeral Trust – an independent Trust Fund. Dignity is the only major funeral plan provider to consistently publish an Annual Report showing the Trust’s performance, which is available on request
- Dignity's Funeral Directors provide excellent service. In their latest customer survey, 99%†† of families surveyed said that Dignity met or exceeded their expectations
A Prepaid Funeral Plan brings:
- Peace of mind that once paid for there will be nothing further to pay for the services included in the plan
- Reassurance that these funeral costs are fixed at today's prices
- Confidence that your personal wishes have been incorporated
- Comfort that your arrangements will be in the hands of an experienced and trusted Funeral Director
* £460 saving is based on the £120 cashback for qualifying members and £340 difference between Diamond plan price of £3,795 and the 2018 plan price of £4,135. Discount valid until 30th April 2019 - you can read full terms and conditions here. To qualify for cashback you need to have a savings balance of at least £500, and have either held one of our savings accounts for at least the last 12 months or currently have a Nottingham Building Society mortgage - you can read full terms and conditions here.
** 2011 - 2017: Matter Communications independent research.
† 2024: Forecast based on average annual compounded growth rate of 5.45% each year between 2011 and 2017.
†† Dignity plc Annual Reports & Accounts 2017.