Does The Great British Bake Off inspire you to spruce up your kitchen?
A welcoming kitchen is one of the major attractions for potential home buyers – whether it is the family focal point or a single person’s stylish space.
The kitchen has long been the heart of the home, and with TV shows like The Great British Bake Off – back on our screens this month – inspiring more people to get cooking and baking, now is the perfect time to think about sprucing up your kitchen if you are selling your property.
However, sellers don’t have to shell out a small fortune on a complete overhaul – there are plenty of effective and inexpensive ways to attract some great comments from the judges… those all important buyers!
Su Snaith, Head of Estate Agency for Harrison Murray (part of The Nottingham Building Society), said: “Replacing your entire kitchen to attract buyers is not always necessary or indeed wise. Often the cost of installing a new kitchen outweighs the value it will add to the asking price. Like all home decor, the kitchen will still be subject to personal taste, so if it doesn’t appeal to your buyers, they will refit it on moving in anyway.”
Some cost-effective tips on making the most of your kitchen:
And if you are looking to improve to move on a bigger scale – an Ocean Finance study carried out earlier this year reveals the Top Five projects which will add style and boost your property’s asking price.
- Spruce up an outdated kitchen through simple changes like replacing or painting the cupboard doors, handles or taps
- Don’t overlook the finishing touches; re-grouting tiles can give the kitchen a new lease of life
- Clean and de-clutter. Make sure work surfaces are clean when viewers visit and ensure any washing up is cleared away
- Give the feeling of space by removing gadgets out of sight if possible
- Ensure any bins are emptied and cleaned
- If you have a pet, it may be a good idea to move food/water bowls outside – just in case your potential buyer is put off by pets
- Fresh flowers on the windowsill create a welcoming atmosphere and show you care!
- Adding a conservatory
- Making improvements to the garden
- Exterior work, i.e. upgrading window frames and doors
- Building an extension
Putting on a new roof