Make a complaint

We aim to provide you with the highest standards of service. However, there may be occasions when our service falls short of your expectations. We have outlined the process that takes place in this instance.

  • General information
  • Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance
  • Mortgage advice

Raise your concerns

You should firstly raise your concerns with us - there are a number of ways to do this: 

Call us: You can telephone our Customer Service team on 0344 481 4444

Visit us: You can visit your local branch

Submit online: You can complete our online enquiry form

Write to us: You can write to us at:

Customer Services
Nottingham Building Society
Nottingham House
3 Fulforth Street

What happens next

A written acknowledgement will be issued no later than five working days after receiving your complaint. Your concerns will be fully investigated and a detailed response will be issued. We aim to resolve your complaint and issue this response within eight weeks. However, there may be times when we cannot send you our final response letter by the end of the eight weeks. If this is the case we will write to you to explain why and let you know when we can do so. 

Should you have any concerns in the meantime please contact our Customer Services Team on: 0344 481 4444.

And finally

We are committed to ensuring all complaints are fully and fairly addressed. Should you remain dissatisfied following the completion of our review, you have the option to refer the matter free of charge to the Financial Ombudsman Service at:

The Financial Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower
E14 9SR

You should refer the matter to the Ombudsman as soon as possible after our final response, but this must be within six months of the date of our final response.

Please note, while you can refer your complaint to the Ombudsman at any time, they will need our consent to investigate complaints where:

  • We have not had the chance to put things right
  • We have not exceeded the eight-week timescale and have not yet issued our final response letter.
Before you refer the matter to the Ombudsman you may wish to:

Complaints publication report

Nottingham Building Society
Period covered in this report: 1 January 2018 – 30 June 2018.

Financial companies are required by the regulator to report all the complaints they received from customers, every six months. At The Nottingham we publish how many complaints we've received and how long we've taken to resolve them.


The above table is the standard format that the Financial Conduct Authority requires firms to use, when reporting complaints in the above product areas.

To help customers understand what the above figures mean and to allow comparisons to be made with other building societies, we have given you some information below around the context of our complaints:

What the categories mean


All the complaints we receive are important and give us the opportunity to improve when things don't quite go right. Sometimes mistakes happen and our complaints process is designed with our customers in mind. We use our complaints data to see where we can improve our service as well as measure how well we are performing. With the help of our members, we can continuously identify where we can deliver both improved products and services for our members.

What is PPI?

Payment protection insurance (PPI) is an insurance policy that is usually sold with products such as loans, credit cards or mortgages. It covers you if you are unable to work due to an accident/sickness or if you become unemployed.

At The Nottingham our payment protection plans were linked to mortgage accounts only, our policies were called Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance (MPPI) and were designed to protect your mortgage repayments.

How do I know if I had MPPI?

You can check your bank statements; MPPI is paid directly to the insurance provider usually by direct debit. They will show on your statement with the name of the provider and your mortgage account number.

You can also check your mortgage offer and mortgage completion documents. If you have taken out MPPI this will show under the heading ‘Protecting Your Mortgage Payments’.

How do I make a complaint about the mis-selling of MPPI?

Before making a complaint, you can check whether you had an MPPI policy by checking bank statements or looking at your mortgage documentation. See our section above ‘How do I know if I had MPPI?’ if you would like more help with this.

To make a complaint then you can:

  • Telephone our Customer Service team on 0344 481 4444
  • Complete our online enquiry form
  • You can visit your local branch
  • Or you can write to us at:
    Customer Services MPPI complaints
    Nottingham House
    3 Fulforth Street
    NG1 3DL

We always assess every complaint in a fair and consistent manner and it won’t change how we deal with you if you want to check whether you are eligible to complain or if you make a complaint to us. There is also no impact on your credit record.

Can I still complain if I claimed on my MPPI policy?

Yes you can however we may take into consideration the value of any claims made if compensation is due to you.

Is there a deadline for me to make an MPPI complaint?

Yes, the deadline is 29th August 2019, after this date we will not consider your complaint.

How do I make a non-disclosure of commission complaint?

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has set new rules for non-disclosure of commission (sometimes called Plevin) on MPPI policies that were linked to mortgage agreements.

To assess whether you may be eligible to get back some money, we will look at whether you held an MPPI policy within the following timeframes:

The mortgage/policy was taken out before 31 October 2004 and it was still open on or after 6 April 2008.

  • If you haven’t already complained about your MPPI policy before and want to complain about non-disclosure of commission then please consider if you think you have also been mis-sold the MPPI policy. We will look at whether we feel non-disclosure applies at the same time.
  • If you have already complained about the mis-selling of MPPI and we did not agree it was mis-sold then you can make a new complaint about non-disclosure for us to consider.
  • If you previously complained about mis-selling of MPPI and we refunded some or all of the money you paid, you will not get back more money if you now complain about non-disclosure of commission. This is because there is no remaining loss that you need to claim back.

Do I need to use a Claims Management Company to make my complaint?

You can complain yourself to us; you do not need to use a Claims Management Company. They may charge you to submit a complaint on your behalf or they may take a portion of any compensation that is due to you.

What is the role of the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) in the complaints process?

The Financial Ombudsman Service is a free, independent service for settling disputes between financial businesses and their customers. They can deal with complaints about a wide range of financial issues, including PPI/MPPI.

You might want to contact the Financial Ombudsman Service if you complain to your bank or other provider and aren’t happy with their response or don’t receive a response within 8 weeks.

What is the role of the Financial Conduct Authority in the complaints process?

The Financial Conduct Authority regulates the financial services sector and protects consumers.

They provide information about PPI/MPPI and can help consumers understand it, but they cannot give advice about individual circumstances or complaints.

Who can help me if I need more information or help?

Generally the easiest way is to telephone our Customer Service team on 0344 481 4444 or visit one of our branches.

If you are unhappy with our service 

For mortgages where advice was given by Nottingham Building Society

If you have a complaint about your adviser, or any financial advice you have received from your adviser, please contact us.

Central Mortgage Department 
Nottingham House 
3 Fulforth Street 
NG1 3DL 

Email: please fill out an enquiry form

Tel: 0344 481 0013

For mortgages where advice was given by an appointed representative of Quilter

If you have a complaint about your adviser, or any financial advice you have received from your adviser, please contact us.

Quilter Complaints Department 

Riverside House 
The Waterfront 
Newcastle upon Tyne 
NE15 8NY 


Tel: 0191 241 0700

You can find more information by visiting the Quilter Financial Services website.

If you cannot settle your complaint with us, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Financial Ombudsman Service
Exchange Tower
E14 9SR


Tel: 0300 123 9123 or 0800 023 4567

You can find more information by visiting the Financial Ombudsman Service -

Last updated on:
Next review:
Originally published on: