Home movers rank selling a house almost as stressful as getting divorced
When it comes to selling a house, a national survey has rated the experience more stressful than getting married, changing jobs or having children.
The only thing ranked more stressful was getting divorced – according to the findings of the 2015 Which? National Property Survey, which asked almost 2,000 recent home movers to rate the stress levels of life events.
Seven out of 10 said selling their house was stressful, with 69 per cent saying the same about buying a house.
Arranging care for an elderly relatively (68 per cent), having a child (53 per cent), changing jobs (49 per cent) and tying the knot (40 per cent) were all voted as being less stressful than buying or selling a property.
Divorce topped the survey’s list of 10 life events as the most stressful, at 78 per cent.
However, our estate agency has some expert tips to help create a smooth move for customers.
- Choose an agent who is a member of the NAEA (National Association of Estate Agents) and/or the Property Ombudsman Scheme. Member agents will have a logo displayed in their window.
- Speak to friends and work colleagues about their experience of local estate agents. Personal recommendations are invaluable.
- Aim to choose an agent who is well established in your area, with good local knowledge and a grasp on what is happening in the market.
- Look at the boards in your area – preferably the ‘Sold’ ones – to gauge how effective an agent is.
- Go in and talk to the agent face to face to find out what services they offer.
- Ask how the agent conducts viewings. Most will hold a key so that the agent can accompany prospective buyers on viewing appointments at your request.
- Find out how the agent will advertise and market your property.
- Work with them to agree a realistic price on your property.
- Once your property is on the market, prepare for viewings – especially those last minute ones – by keeping your home clean, neat, tidy and clutter free as much as possible.
- If you are going away for the weekend or on holiday, don’t forget to leave your agent a key and a contact number.
Our Head of Estate Agency Su Snaith said: “We all know that moving house can be exciting, daunting and stressful all at the same time. It is a very emotional experience.
“However, appointing an estate agent who has your very best interests at heart and who can guide you through the process and keep you informed every step of the way will help to alleviate any anxiety.
“An agent with a sound knowledge of the local area and the market will give sellers excellent advice, and more often than not, will also be able to guide them through the other associated issues like arranging a mortgage and home insurance.”
Did you know these things about Harrison Murray/Nottingham Estate Agency?
- We have a network of over 30 branches across Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire.
- As part of the Nottingham Building Society we are able to put customers in touch with a mortgage adviser who will search over 50 lenders, fee-free, to find the best mortgage deals.
- Many of our branches have built up extremely positive profiles in their communities through work done to support local good causes and charities.
- The long established name and reputation instils customer confidence.