Do your homework before making a move
Securing the home of your dreams may seem like a tall order - but when it comes to surroundings, getting better acquainted with your new area is a must.
Hectic and demanding daily lifestyles are forcing many people to look at their home/work life balance, opting to move to a larger home, be closer to work or family, or choose a quieter location.
But, whatever the reasons for moving to a new area, don’t let the excitement of a new home detract from the importance of exploring the location.
According to the National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) it can take between six and eight months to feel at home in a new area.
Our Nottingham Estate Agency and Harrison Murray Estate Agency team have some tips on what to bear in mind when thinking about buying a property in a new area:
- Visit the area a few times and drive around the surrounding towns and villages to get a feel for the bigger picture.
- Pop into the local pub and get chatting with the landlord. They usually know all about what’s happening in their locality.
- Try driving your route to work/school to get an idea of the journey and how long it will take.
- Depending on their age, children may not be completely receptive to moving away from friends, so take them on a tour - pointing out schools, local parks and opportunities for social activities.
- Buy editions of the local newspaper or read about the area online for information on local clubs and events - many places have their own website offering a wealth of information.
- Find out about services on your doorstep - from doctors and dentists to the post office, library - and why not grab a few menus from the local takeaways, you may need them on moving in day!
- If you have pets, it may be worth finding a reputable boarding kennel/cattery in your new area to take care of them for a day or two during the move to alleviate any stress.
Su Snaith, Head of Estate Agency, said: “For many people, moving home can be an exciting yet at the same time rather daunting experience - particularly if it is to a brand new area.
“However, if you do your homework properly you can ensure your new home suits the whole family.”
Last updated on: