Boosting your outdoor space could help sell and improve the value of your home
As a nation of garden lovers and BBQ fans, it’s no wonder that our outdoor space is as important a selling point as a stylish bathroom suite or modern kitchen inside the home.
A garden – whatever its size – can provide all-important extra space in terms of an alfresco dining and entertaining area, somewhere to relax or an outdoor play area for children.
When it comes to making the most of your home as you prepare it for sale, spring is the perfect time to turn your attention to the garden and bring it out of hibernation.
A little green TLC could not only help attract potential buyers, but also add value to the sale of your property.
Our estate agents stress the importance of having an attractive and well-maintained garden - whether it is a small courtyard or spacious landscaped area.
A few simple and inexpensive tricks will create a fabulous first impression, and could boost the asking price of your home.
- Tidying the garden is as important as de-cluttering the inside of your home. Put away any outdoor toys or tools, and throw away any broken pots or planters. Store items in the shed or invest in a portable storage box. Make sure there is no washing hanging on the line during viewings if it obscures the view of your garden.
- Try and create an area that can be used for alfresco dining to impress BBQ-loving buyers.
- Spring is the perfect time to show your lawn some tender loving care. Mow the grass and if there are any bare patches, sow some inexpensive grass seed prior to putting your property on the market.
- Trim overgrown shrubs and hedges, and ensure flowerbeds and paths are weed and moss-free. A few carefully placed potted plants will add instant colour and provide a nice view from rooms looking out onto the garden.
- If you are lucky enough to have a south facing garden, make the most of the spot that catches the sun for the best part of the day with a chair or bench.
- Lighten things up with some solar powered lights or outdoor fairy lights to create some ambiance.
A garden or outdoor space, whatever its size, can mean different things to different people. Families may be content with using their outdoor ‘room’ as an extension of their home to create additional space for the children or for entertaining – others are happy to have a small space that needs very little maintenance but is pleasant to look at. Whatever the size of the garden, don’t overlook it when you come to sell your home. It should receive the same attention as the rest of the property.
Last updated on: